WHOLESALE STREET TREES
Trees used for street plantings require a number of characteristics, and although the situation does vary some of the basic requirements for street trees remain the same in many circumstances.
Wholesale growers can provide good horticultural information on the suitability of trees for street in different climates, soils and maintenance requirements.
A quick analysis of the common needs of street trees leads us to the following qualities.
- Height – Street trees need to be of a size that will not interfere with power-lines or can be pruned to such a height easily and economically.
- Root System – The factors of root systems and drainage lines as well as root systems that are close to the surface and may lift pavements need to be considered.
- Litter – All trees drop litter, and deciduous trees will drop leaves in winter. However trees that continually drop leaves, bark, seed pods and fruit can present a problem in street plantings.
- Limb Sheer – Trees that easily drop limbs due to wind, stress or other factors may not be suitable for some street plantings.
Street trees are an integral part of the urban environment, providing shade, helping with air quality as well as being used for their aesthetic value. Choosing the right trees for street plantings can help with all of these as well as improve property values.
Considerations including watering, root barriers and eventual height and width all need to be taken into account.
One of the best street trees in many respects is the English Oak, and although it is falling out of favour it still meets many of the requirements and needs to be considered.
Street Tree Species
Popular Native Street Tree Species
- Lophostemon confertus – Queensland brush box 20 – 25m
- Melaleuca linariifolia – Snow-in-summer
- Melaleuca styphelioides – Prickly-leaved paperbark 8 -12m
- Callistemon salignus Willow bottlebrush
- Eucalyptus leucoxylon – Yellow gum
- Tristiaopsis laurina – Water Gum 7 – 10m
Popular Exotic Street Tree Species
- Prunus cerasifera ‘Nigra’ – Purple-leaf cherry plum
- Platanus × acerifolia – London plane 18 – 25m
- Fraxinus angustifolia spp. angustifolia – Desert ash
- Quercus palustris – Pin oak
- Prunus × blireana – Double-rose Cherry plum
- Ulmus parvifolia – Chinese Elm 10 – 12 m
- Zelkova serrate ‘Green Vase – Japanese Zelkova 10 – 12m
'Justly famous for rare and unusual plants' Don Teese
34 Mt Pleasant Rd Monbulk VIC 3793
WINTER HILL TREE FARM Ph: 02 4878 9193 Fax: 02 4878 9109
NSW Southern Highlands
Retail & Wholesale. Advanced trees & hedging. Grown in pots for year-round planting. 45 litre - 1000 litre available. Great range. Great Quality. Delivery available.
Advanced container grown trees & shrubs. Large range of native plants & ornamentals ranging from 14cm to 45 litre. Specialists in indigenous plants and supply for Urban development. Supply & deliver all states.
2505 Westernport Road, Ripplebrook, Victoria
The largest range of deciduous and evergreen advanced trees from 1-12 metres with over 100,000 trees to select from. SpringRing® grown trees from 25 litre to 1000 litre as well as field grown specimen trees and mature palms. Australia-wide delivery
CNR Sherbrooke & Mt Dandenong Tourist Rds Ferny Creek. VIC 3786
Conifers, Magnolias, Maples, Dogwoods and Buxus.
MORELAND NURSERY 861 Oxenford Tamborine Rd. Wongawallan QLD 4210 phone: 07 55731334 Wholesale Nursery, Large Range Of Australian Natives. Lilly Pilly, Ficus, Leopard Trees, Street Trees Poinciana Tuckeroo & more
FLEMING’S NURSERIES (03) 9756 6105 Deciduous and evergreen trees and shrubs. Flowering, Fruiting and Ornamental. Bare root and containerised 20cm to advanced. Strictly wholesale.
SPECIALTY TREES 1060 Wellington Rd Narre Warren East Vic 3804 Ph 03 9796 8308 Fax 03 9756 8222 Suppliers of advanced evergreens to the landscaping industry. Growers of natives, exotics and a selct range of deciduous trees to 4m. Contract growing to client specifications.