Sisyrinchium, Plant Profile and Landscaping Uses
This is a clump forming grass like plant with Sisyrinchium being offered by wholesalers for bulk planting as well as for resale by garden centres. The most popular are Sisyrinchium angustifolium cultivars, commonly called ‘Blue Eyed Grass’.
Sisyrinchium with blue, yellow, cream to white flowers and green iris like foliage (its from the same family) ‘blue eyed grass’ as it is known is suitable for borders, rockeries or in pots.
Flowering in spring to summer, Sisyrinchium can look good under roses. They do require a well drained soil, especially in winter. Frost tolerant and may self seed.
Drought tolerant once established they will reach around 20cm – 50 cm in height depending on species, and spread to form a good clump over time.
A number of varieties are available from wholesale growers including white flowering types.
- Devon Skies has bright blue flowers to around 15 cm.
- Yellow Stone has golden yellow flowers to around 12 cm.
- The cultivar ‘Californian Skies’ reaches around 20cm in height grows well in full sun to a little afternoon shade and has good blue to purple flowers with darker markings.
Excellent for mass planting in broader landscaping projects, also suited to container growing. Can be planted along the edges of informal garden paths to add seasonal interest.
- S. macounii album – White flowers to 12cm
- S. atlanticum
- S. angustifolium – Blue flowers to 35cm
- S. bermudiana – Reaches around 50 cm in height, flowers over a long period, flowers in blue shades.
- S. striata – Tall growing to 60 cm with cream coloured flowers.
WHOLESALE Sisyrinchium NURSERIES
Sproules Lane Bowral NSW 2576
Wholesale production nursery specialising in Cool Climate perennials and shrubs. Supplying Retail Nurseries and the Landscape Trade. Services include contract growing and plant sourcing.