The Ornamental Pistachio or Chinese Pistachio
A wonderful small to medium sized tree Pistacia chinensis, or Chinese Pistachio trees are a medium growing deciduous tree used as an ornamental shade tree, for landscaping as well as a street tree.
Used widely in urban landscaping for its ability to grow well in poor soil, cope with dry conditions as well a pollution from road traffic.
Initial growth is fairly upright however as the tree matures the branches droop a little to form a nice rounded crown.
Pistacia chinensis will grow to a height of approximately 8 – 10m in cultivation, although it can reach to 15m in ideal conditions. Wonderful long lasting autumn color with the green foliage turning a vibrant red before fading to yellow. The drought tolerant nature of Pistacia chinensis make it a useful street tree.
The only problem seems to be in coastal areas where Pistacia chinensis is not seen as being salt tolerant.
Available as bare rooted trees autumn to winter, potted specimens from spring to summer and advanced specimens. In cultivation Pistacia chinensis grows well in an open sunny position and will form a broad crown to 5 – 7 metres across.
Pistacia chinensis Care
Fast growing in good conditions Pistacia chinensis will form a nice rounded canopy, best in full sun but can handle part shade as well.
- Protect young trees from frost.
- Larger specimens transplant well for an instant effect
- Stake when planting to encourage upright growth
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertilizer to promote root growth.
- Can be pruned to maintain size and to lift the canopy in street plantings as required.
- Height – 8 to 10 meters.
- Spread – 5 to 7 meters
- Position – Full sun to a little shade.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained.
- Foliage color – Green turning to orange / red in autumn.
- Frost tolerant – Yes
- Drought Tolerant – Yes once established
Wholesale Pistacia chinensis are available from the following growers.
Carey Gully, Adelaide Hills.
Family run business selling advanced ornamental trees including 9 varieties of Crepe Myrtle, Maple, Birch, Ash, Ginko, Crab Apple, Ornamental Plum, Weeping Cherry, Oak & Chinese Tallow. Wholesale prices to the public.
"Propagation and Production of Native and Exotic Trees
with Natural Root Systems from 2 to 2,000 lts."