Michelia figo -Wholesale
With highly scented flowers, Michelia figo commonly called the ‘Port Wine Magnolia’ is used widely as fragrant evergreen hedging plant. The fragrance is heightened on warm evenings, so for maximum impact plant M.figo near a pathway leading to the house in a warm sheltered position.
Advanced specimens and Tube Stock are available from Wholesale Nurseries. Compact forms are also available.
Glossy green foliage is a year round attraction, and although the flowers are fragrant they are small and often hidden in the foliage so are not a feature.
Generally a slow growing small tree or shrub reaching around 3m. Michelia figo or ‘Port Wine Magnolia’ prefers a little protection from hot afternoon sun but grows well in full sun to part shade.
A humus rich soil and a cool root run are best. Requires very little pruning .
Michelia figo Landscaping Uses
Popular with landscapers for its good foliage and low care nature, Michelia figo can be used as a hedging plant, a filler in the border or as a container grown specimen plant.
- Species – Michelia figo (syn Magnolia figo)
- Cultivar –
- Common Name – Port Wine Magnolia
- Growth Habit – Upright bushy
- Growth Rate – Slow
- Soil – Humus rich, moist, well drained.
- Sun – Full sun to light shade. Afternoon shade in very hot positions.
- Water – Water well though first summers.
- Landscaping Uses – Fragrant border shrub. Low hedge as well as potted specimen plant.
- Pruning – Generally not required. Can be pruned to shape if needed after flowering.
- Propagation – Cuttings
- Container growing – Excellent for containers
- Michelia figo ‘Coco’, larger leaves on a more compact bush. Also known as ‘Lady of the Night’.
'Justly famous for rare and unusual plants' Don Teese
34 Mt Pleasant Rd Monbulk VIC 3793
55 McDougal Rd Neerim South Victoria 3831 PH: (03) 56281507
Advanced ornamental trees and garden designs and concept plans. Direct to your property combined with specialist knowledge and outstanding service.
TJ’S WHOLESALE PLANTS Cranbourne South, Victoria – Phone (03) 97830733