Cornus or ‘Dogwood Trees’, Plant Profile and Landscaping Uses
With some of the best displays of spring flowers, Cornus trees come to fore in the late spring. Covered with masses of flowers they make a excellent feature tree in a small to medium sized garden. A number of garden worthy varieties are available for sale from specialist wholesale growers.
Cornus or ‘Flowering Dogwood’ are a group of deciduous small tree or shrub (with the exception of C. capitata which is evergreen) Useful as a feature tree with attractive shape, nice foliage and bark and showy flowers in spring. Great colour in autumn and flowers that range from red through to yellow and white. They also make good small shade trees.
Cornus or ‘Dogwood’ are a popular feature tree, with nice foliage and attractive flowers, many Cornus trees also have a nice open structure although some varieties have a shrubby habit.
Cornus Tree Varieties
- Cornus florida comes in two forms, the white flowering type and the pink to red flowering types. Probably the best autumn foliage of the genus.
- Cornus Alba ‘Elegantissima’ has red stems and a bushy habit. Variegated foliage.
- Cornus alba ‘Sibirica’ is a red stemmed variety reaching around 3m in height. Suckering, clumping habit, white flowers followed by berries.
- Cornus contaversa is slow growing but magnificent in flower.
- Cornus ‘Eddies White Wonder’ is strong growing with large white flowers but a little prone to disease in some climates .
- Cornus kousa chinenesis is a small growing tree with excellent autumn colour.
- Cornus Mas is the ‘Cornelian Cherry’.
- Cornus sericea is known as the ‘Red Twig’ or ‘Red Stemmed’ Dogwood. This is a suckering variety that is grown for the brilliant red stems that are a feature in winter.
In general dogwoods require very little care once established. pruning is not required except for the removal of dead or damaged branches. water well during dry periods.
WHOLESALE CORNUS or ‘DOGWOOD’ NURSERIES
"Propagation and Production of Native and Exotic Trees
with Natural Root Systems from 2 to 2,000 lts."
55 McDougal Rd Neerim South Victoria 3831 PH: (03) 56281507
Advanced ornamental trees and garden designs and concept plans. Direct to your property combined with specialist knowledge and outstanding service.
17 McCarthy Rd Monbulk, Vic, 3793, Australia
Specialising in propagation and production of over 900 species / varieties of ornamental plants, perennials & rare plants. Supplying nurseries, landscapers & others. Minimum quantities apply! Contact us to discuss plants or growing requirements.
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.