Centradenia grandiflora is a fast growing hardy ground cover with purple to pink flowers in spring. Suitable for part shade to full sun. Centradenia ‘Blushing Cascade’ is a cultivar sometimes used in hanging baskets.
One of the common names is the ‘Trailing Princess Flower’, and it does trail. This habit makes it a good candidate for hanging baskets, container growing as well as for growing along the top of retaining walls. And as for being a Princess, Centradenia grandiflora is a tough and hardy one, it looks delicate, however it really is a very easy care plant in the right conditions.
Attractive red stems, and the flowers create a lush tropical look. Fairly dense growing and can easily be pruned to help create a thicker denser growth if required.
Although Centradenia is heat tolerant it does require some moisture. Best planted in frost free areas.
- Height – Will reach to between .3 and 1m in height, usually low with a trailing habit.
- Spread – Will spread to around 1m.
- Growth rate – Medium to Fast
- Soil – A well drained humus rich soil with some moistue is best.
- Aspect – Full sun to a little shade in the afternoon.
- Foliage – A green to silvery grey which will have red tones in cooler climates.
- Flowers – Mid pink, although a red form is also available at times.
- Flowering period – From winter to spring.
- Frost tolerant – No
- Attractions – Useful plant for hanging baskets, or garden border.
Also look for the lower growing species Centradenia floribunda, which reaches around 20 cm in height.
Centradenia grandiflora Wholesale Nurseries
Lot 3 Wallaroo Drive Burringbar NSW 2483
Phone: 0266771167 Fax: 02 6677 1867