Ceanothus, Plant Profile and Landscaping Uses
With some species known as the Californian Lilac, Ceanothus are an excellent evergreen shrub to small tree that grow well in sheltered positions. The popular varieties have brilliant blue flowers, however the genus has more to,offer the landscaper. Wholesale growers offer a range of plants to suit different applications.
Ceanothus are commonly used as low growing, spreading ground covers, although some varieties can reach to 3m. Most will form rounded shrubs and with a little pruning can make neat landscaping plants. It is the flowers that cover the plant from summer to early autumn that are the main attraction, although the green foliage is good year round.
Ceanothus spinosus ‘Redheart’ is pictured, a wonderful Bee attracting plant, however the cultivars such as ‘Trewithen Blue’ do have outstanding flowers.
A few named cultivars are popular including
- Ceanothus ‘Joyce Coulter’ is a shrubby type. Masses of blue flowers in spring.
- C. arboreus ‘ Trewithen Blue’ is a larger growing plant suited for use as a hedging plant.
- C. thyrisiflorus ‘Blue Pacific’ with its glossy green foliage and blue flowers is another worth looking for.
- C. ‘Blue Cushion’ and C. ‘Yankee Point’ are two more popular varieties.
Quick growing, drought tolerant once established and tolerant of both heat and cold.
- C. thrysiflorus – Small shrub to tree.
- C. thrysiflorus var .repens – Is a low growing drought tolerant ground cover plants
- C. papillosus – Small tree.
- C. gloriosus – Is a small to medium shrub, excellent in coastal conditions.
- C. hybrida ‘Blue Pacific’
Look out for Ceanothus ‘Blue Cushion’ Ceanothus ‘Blue Pacific’ Ceanothus ‘Yankee Point all useful for landscaping and in the rock garden.
WHOLESALE CEONANTHUS NURSERIES
"Propagation and Production of Native and Exotic Trees
with Natural Root Systems from 2 to 2,000 lts."
Sproules Lane Bowral NSW 2576
Wholesale production nursery specialising in Cool Climate perennials and shrubs. Supplying Retail Nurseries and the Landscape Trade. Services include contract growing and plant sourcing.
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.