Aucuba, Plant Profile and Landscaping Uses
Grown for the foliage, Aucuba are a versatile landscaping plant with a number of varieties offed by wholesale growers.
Aucuba are best known by Aucuba japonica variegata or ‘Gold Dust Plant’. Growing best in part or filtered shade in a humus rich soil Aucuba are used in landscaping to provide colour and accent to the rear or borders or as an accent plant.
Also known as the ‘Japanese Laurel’ these are a remarkably easy care plant. They do grow best in light shade and moist soils, however are tolerant of dryish soils over summer as long as they have adequate protection from the hot afternoon sun.
Aucuba or Gold Dust Plants can be pruned back hard if they become to leggy. Aucuba japonica picturata has bold golden centres. Aucuba japonica rozannie is a small growing variety.
Landscaping uses include mass planting in shaded areas to provide a green or variegated foliage background, background plant in a part shaded border, feature plant in the border especially thr heavily variagted varieties.
Aucuba japonica Varieties
- A. japonica Speckled green and Gold leaves.
- A. japonica ‘Sulphurea Marginata’ – Leaves more margined with yellow
- A. japonica Rozannie – Slow growing
- A. japonica ‘Pictura’ – Bolder variegation (not speckled) with a strong yellow centre in the leaves
- A. japonica ‘Honshu’ – Smaller growing form
- A. japonica crotonifolia – Most widely grown form with good gold and green foliage.
- A. chinensis – This is a taller growing species with larger leaves
WHOLESALE AUCUBA NURSERIES
17 McCarthy Rd Monbulk, Vic, 3793, Australia
Specialising in propagation and production of over 900 species / varieties of ornamental plants, perennials & rare plants. Supplying nurseries, landscapers & others. Minimum quantities apply! Contact us to discuss plants or growing requirements.
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.