With glossy leathery leaves and a dense growth habit Viburnum japonicum adds a lush look to the garden.
This is an evergreen shrub that grows well in morning sun or part shade to fairly deep shade depending on climate. The flowers are white and are perfumed so fragrance in the garden is an added attraction.
Use it as a hedge or grow it for the foliage and flowers which appear in spring. Both male and female forms are available, the female form has red berries that follow the flowers.
- Botanical Name – Viburnum japonicum
- Common Name – Japanese Viburnum, in Japan ‘Hakusan-boku’
- Family – Caprifoliaceae
- Position – Morning sun to part shade.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained.
- Height – To around 3 metres
- Spread – To around 2 metres
- Flowers – White and fragrant.
- Flowering Time – Spring
- Foliage – Glossy green
- Drought tolerance – Medium
- Frost Tolerant – Yes