A small tree or large shrub Rothmannia globosa is commonly called the Tree Gardenia. Large glossy green foliage that are veined is evergreen to semi deciduous depending on the climate.
The flowers best described as bell shaped, a creamy white and with a Gardenia like fragrance. They appear in clusters and usually have pink markings in the throat.
Although this is a tree that will tolerate dry conditions over a short period, it grows best in a humus rich moist yet well drained soil.
Use it as a feature tree in the garden, a small shade tree, or perhaps prune it as hedge or screening tree. The root system is regarded as being non invasive.
Choose a position that is protected from wind and with a humus rich moist soil. Full morning sun to a little dappled shade in the afternoon is ideal.
- Dig the soil over well before planting adding extra compost and aged cow manure in poorer soils.
- Plant and water in with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch around the plant to suppress weeds and maintain a cool moist root run.
- Water well through the first summers.
Unless you want it grow into a small tree, prune to shaped size immediately after flowering.
- Botanical Name – Rothmannia globosa
- Common Name – Tree Gardenia
- Origin – South Africa
- Position – Full sun to part shade
- Height – To 7 metres plus, often smaller
- Spread – Will form a crown to around 3 metres.
- Growth rate – Medium
- Flowers – Creamy white and fragrant.
- Flowering time – Late spring to summer.
- Foliage – Glossy green and veined.
- Frost tolerant – No
- Drought tolerant – Medium too low.
Other species – Rothmania capensis, this species has larger flowers.
Rothmannia globosa – Tree Gardenia is available for sale from the following participating nurseries
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.
412 James Lane, Fern Hill VIC. 3458 - Phone 0419002651
Large range of Rare plants, Climbers, Bulbs, Perennials Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. Available both Retail and by Mail Order
The fruits are reported to be sweet and juicy, in southern Africa the fruits are dried and used to make decorative necklaces.