Commonly called both ‘Firecracker Flower’ and Brazilian Fuchsia, Justicia rizzinii is a small evergreen shrub with bright red and yellow tubular flowers.
Reaching around 1 metre (3ft) in height, although this is tropical shrub it grows well in cool to temperate zones and thrives in part shade.
Long flowering from Autumn/Fall through to Spring and Summer, this is a versatile plant, it copes well with hot temperatures, grows in shade and once established will not need a lot of extra water.
- Use a humus rich soil or potting mix if growing in a container.
- Water well through the first few summers.
- Make sure the soil is free draining.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool moist root run
- Pinch back the growing tips to maintain a bushy dense habit.