Hebe ‘Snowdrift’ – A White Flowering Hebe
One of the best white flowering Hebe brachysiphon cultivars is Hebe ‘Snowdrift’. This is a compact growing shrub with attractive green foliage and masses of white flowers in summer.
The flowers are prominent and appear as white cones or spikes to around 7cm (3 inches) in length. Foliage is a mid green and lancelet in shape, (elongated).
With the masses of white flowers, Hebe ‘Snowdrift’ can be used as a feature plant in the garden border.
As it is a fairly dense bushy plant, and easy to prune, it can also be used as a low hedging plant.
Also suited to growing in containers.
Hebe ‘Snowdrift’ Care
Best grown in a humus rich moist soil in a position in full sun to part shade.
When planting, dig in some well rotted compost a few weeks before.
- Plant to the same depth as Hebe ‘Snowdrift’ was in its container.
- Firm in and water in well with a liquid fertiliser.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool moist root run.
- Hebe ‘Snowdrift’ should be fertilised in early spring with a general purpose slow release type fertiliser.
- Water well before fertilising and again after. A second application in early summer will be beneficial in poorer soils.
It is a bit of a fallacy that Hebes do not like pruning.
Hebe ’Snowdrift’ can be lightly pruned after flowering to maintain a more bushy shape.
A simple rule is – Do not cut back into old wood, and always leave good foliage on each stem.
- Plant Type – Shrub.
- Flower Colour – White.
- Leaf – Mid green. Lancelot shaped
- Height – 1m – 1.5m.Best pruned to 1m.
- Spread – Best pruned to 1m.
- Growth Rate – Medium to Fast.
- Sun Shade – Best in Good morning sun with a little light afternoon shade in warmer, drier areas.
- Climate – Cool to Temperate.
- Water – Will require extra water during long dry periods.
- Coastal Suitability – Yes.
- Frost Tolerance – Moderate.
- Flowering Period – Hebe Snowdrift flowers from Spring through summer.