One of the best Hebe varieties for hedging, Hebe Buxifolia is fast growing, easy to prune and has masses of white flowers in spring.
Commonly called the ‘Box Leaf Hebe’ for the form of its foliage, it has a naturally dense growth habit and small foliage, both great attributes for a hedging plant.
Planting distance when used as a hedging plant should be at around 70 – 90 cm apart.
You can also grow Hebe Buxifolia in containers if desired.
Best grown in full sun to a little afternoon shade, Hebe Buxifolia will grow well in a range of soil types although not waterlogged of soggy soils.
- Dig the soil over well to twice the width of the container.
- Remove weeds.
- Add some well rotted cow manure and compost.
- Plant at the same depth as in the pot.
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool moist root run.
- Water regularly through the first summer.
- Fertilise each spring with a general purpose slow release type fertiliser.
The best time to prune is immediately after a flowers die back.
- Botanical Name – Hebe Buxifolia
- Common Name – Box leaf Hebe
- Position – Full sun to a little shade.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained.
- Height – To around 1 metre
- Spread – To around 1 metre.
- Flowers – White
- Flowering Time – Late winter to spring.
- Foliage – Small rounded and mid to deep green.
- Frost tolerant – Yes, light to medium frosts.
- Drought tolerant – Medium
Hebe buxifolia is available for sale from the following participating nurseries.
862 Midland Highway Mount Rowan Vic 3352
We offer over 245 varieties of Fuchsia, tubestock, pots, baskets and standards. Mail order specialists. Open 7 days by appointment.