Escallonia bifida – The White Escallonia.
Its been around for many years and Escallonia bifida has earned its place as a reliable garden plant.
It has changed names a few times, formerly Escallonia monteidensis and also known as Escallonia Iveyi, however all are the same useful garden plant.
Good glossy green foliage and sprays of masses of white flowers in summer make this a year round attraction.
This is a fast growing large shrub to small tree. It can reach from 3 – 6m in height with a spread of around 3m. The height will depend on climate and soil conditions, usually a height of 3m is obtained..
Useful in the garden border as an evergreen background plant with the added attraction of good flowers in summer. Escallonia bifida can also be pruned to make a dense hedge. As a hedge we suggest a maximum height of 3m.
Escallonia bifida Care
- Well drained humus rich soil.
- Sunny position to afternoon shade.
- Mulch around plants to maintain a cool moist root run.
- Provide extra water during long dry periods to maximise flowering and overall performance.
- Allow soil to partially dry between waterings.
- Fertilise with a slow release type fertiliser in spring.
- Grows well in coastal conditions.
The best time to prune is immediately after flowering.
Escallonia bifida is available for sale from the following nurseries
862 Midland Highway Mount Rowan Vic 3352
We offer over 245 varieties of Fuchsia, tubestock, pots, baskets and standards. Mail order specialists. Open 7 days by appointment.