If you are looking for an easy Erica to grow then Erica x darleyensis would be the one. This is an old cultivar or hybrid that has bee around for over 100 years. Winter flowering with masses of small bell shaped flowers Erica x darleyensis puts on a show at the right time of the year.
An excellent plant for the rock garden, also useful in the general garden border towards the front due to its low growing nature. You could even mass plant as a ground cover if desired.
- Erica x darleyensis silberschmeize – white flowering form
- Erica x darleyensis ‘darley dale’ – pink flowering form
- Erica x darleyensis ‘White Perfection’ – Another white flowering form.
Erica x darleyensis is tolerant of most soils, it is low growing to around 50cm to 90cm depending on cultivar and variety. An excellent plant for rock gardens or the garden border. Suited to full sun to part shade a well drained soil is about all this care free plant requires.
A light prune back with some hedge clippers after flowering will keep it looking great.
- Height – 50 – 90 cm
- Flowering – Winter
- Position – Full sun well drained
- Growth rate – slow to medium
- Fertilizer – Liquid seaweed in early winter and spring