An excellent low growing hedge or ground cover Carissa Desert Star, commonly called the Natal Plum is from South Africa.
It grows exceptionally well in coastal conditions and is at home in full sun in a well grained soil.
The glossy green foliage is attractive year round and the small white flowers are sweetly scented. Best planted away from play areas and pathways as it is a plant with small thorns on the stems.
The starry white flowers are followed by small red berries in autumn.
If planting as a hedge, try a spacing of 80cm to 1 metre for a good dense hedge.
Once established this is a very low maintenance plant.
- Plant in a well drained soil
- Water in with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool root run.
- Fertilise with a general purpose slow release fertiliser each spring.
- Water during long dry spells to improve flowering.
Prune lightly immediately after flowering to maintain shape and size if required.
- Botanical Name – Carissa macrocarpa Desert Star
- Common Name – Carissa Desert Star, Natal Plum.
- Position – Full sun to a little shade.
- Soil – Well drained humus rich is best, although tolerant of poorer soils with fertiliser and extra water..
- Height – To around 1 metre to 2 metres
- Spread – To around 1 metre to 2 metres
- Foliage – Small, rounded and glossy. Small thorns on the stems.
- Flowers – White , fragrant and star shaped.
- Flowering time – Spring Summer
- Drought tolerant -Yes moderate tolerance once established.
- Frost tolerant – No
Carissa macrocarpa Desert Star is available for sale from the following participating Nurseries
300 Oxley Drive Coombabah QLD 4216
Located on the north end of the Gold Coast at Runaway Bay. The 6 acre site is home to Queensland's biggest & best garden centre. Selling in volume direct to the public. Focus on top quality both in our plant & pot ranges.