An old hybrid from France, Deutzia ‘Magicien’ is small bushy shrub with very attractive pink flowers.
The flowers appear a musky pink buds, opening to a strawberry pink and white flower. Better formed than the flowers on some other Deutzia varieties and very attractive.
Although the flowers are the main feature, the autumn foliage at the end of the season is an attractive deep red.
Over time, this is a plant that will reach around 1.5 to 2 metres in height. Foliage is a good bright green, lanceolate in shape.
Deutzia magicien Care
Best grown in a humus rich and well drained soil. Good morning sun is important, with perhaps a little light afternoon shade especially in warmer climates.
This is a fairly slow growing plant and will benefit from regular applications of liquid fertiliser through the growing season.
Mulch around the base of the plant in early spring, with a little added cow manure at this time as well. The mulch helps retain a cool root run as well as moisture.
Propagation is in summer from cuttings.
Best pruned after 3 – 4 years taking out 1/3 of the stems at the base.
- Remove any dead stems first
- Remove the oldest stems, leaving 2/3 of all stems and always 3- 4 healthy stems.
- You can also prune back immediately after flowering to create a more bushy growth habit.
- Botanical Name – Deutzia × hybrida ‘Magicien’ Lemoine
- Common Name – Deutzia ‘Magicien’, Deutzia magician.
- Family – Hydrangeaceae
- Position – Full sun to Part Shade
- Soil – Humus rich moist and well drained
- Height – To around 1.5 metres
- Spread – To around 1.5 metres
- Growth Rate – Medium
- Growth habit – Bushy with long canes
- Flowers – Mauve pink with white in clusters.
- Flowering Time – Late Spring to summer
- Foliage – Mid green- deciduous.
- Drought tolerant – No
- Frost tolerant – Yes
Deutzia ‘Magicien’ is available for sale from the following participating nurseries
412 James Lane, Fern Hill VIC. 3458 - Phone 0419002651
Large range of Rare plants, Climbers, Bulbs, Perennials Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. Available both Retail and by Mail Order
How good is this plant ?
A Lemoine hybrid that has been in cultivation since 1925. It has a dense growth habit, upright in good light and arching stems on a mature specimen. Bees love it, and it is long flowering.