One of the smaller growing cactus, Mammillaria gracilis fragilis has small rounded green stems with a network of white spines.
As the plant grows the stems become taller and can reach around 12 cm in height, (around 5 inches). With a diameter of around 3cms (1 inch), sometimes larger they form a colony of little towers over time.
Like all Cactus, Mammillaria gracilis will flower with small creamy white flowers in winter ti spring.
Many other Mammillaria Varieties are also worth looking for.
Choose a deepish pot with good drainage holes.
Like most succulents it requires a well drained soil and it will require a little extra water in summer.
Thimble Cactus: Care Tips:
- Free draining growing medium.
- Pot with good drainage holes
- Water when soil dries out in summer with less water in winter.
- Re – pot every two to three years
- Fertilise when repotting
- Protect from frosts and cold winds
- Provide good airflow to reduce humidity
- Good light is essential .