A fascinating succulent from South Africa and Namibia, Crassula muscosa comes in a number of forms including a variegated form.
It is the tightly formed foliage on the long stems that tie the plant its common name of ‘Watch Chain’. The leaves look like the tiny links on an old style watch chain.
Crassula muscosa – Care
This a plant that will grow in part shade to full sun, the amount of sun dependant on the climate. We suggest good morning sun and filtered light in the afternoon.
Like most succulents it requires a well drained soil and it will require a little extra water in summer.
In winter keep Crassula muscosa on the dry side.
If the foliage is turning brown it is usually a sign of under watering especially in summer months.
C. mucosa monstrose – A green mutation
- Botanical Name – Crassula muscosa
- Common Names – Watch Chain Crassula
- Origins – South Africa to Namibia
- Light – Full sun to filtered shade depending on the climate
- Soil – Well drained however not over dry.
- Height – Depending on variety to around 30 cm (1ft)
- Growth Rate – Medium
- Foliage – Thin stems with fine foliage closely packed. Colour varies with variety.
- Flowers – Small yellow flowers in summer.
- Fertiliser – A little slow release fertiliser and some lime when repotting.