Choosing the right tool can make weeding so much easier, be it long handled or short handled we take a look at some of the best garden weeding tools.
With the right tools, even the part time gardener can keep the garden looking (almost) weed free.
The Basics of Weed Control
A wise garden once said, “one years seeding means seven years weeding”, so lets start at the beginning, with the best weeding method.
Never let a weed set seed. And this is where weeding tools come into use.
One of the ongoing garden tasks is weeding, and it can be a little tiring. We look at some of the best weeding tools, as well as a few weeding accessories that should make life easier
Our favourite every day weeding tool
A Dutch hoe or a Korean Hoe, may not remove the roots completely, however they will stop the weed from growing and setting seed. A walk around the garden with a Dutch Hoe every week can remove a lot of weeds.
The essential tool for BIG WEEDS
A good garden fork is an essential weeding tool will have a forged socket that the handle goes into and strong tines.
We prefer wooden handled tools rather than fibre glass. And look for unpainted handles so you can check the quality of the timber used.
For really heavy work a mattock is the weeding tool of choice. Other essentials for weeding are garden gloves and garden kneelers are great for those with bad knees.
Five Weeding Tools to Consider
- The Dutch Hoe is a traditional tool used for weeding and cultivation. It has a long handle and a blade that faces upwards, designed to cut through small weeds.
It is a great tool for weeding in garden borders, the long handle gives it reach so you do not need to stand on the garden bed.
You can use it in both a pushing and pulling motion, and as you are standing up, it is gentler on the back than bending over to weed.
- The Korean hand hoe or Ho-mi, and Japanese Garden hoe are two more useful weeding tools. They can also be used for planting and cultivating soil, especially useful for raised garden beds and small areas.
- Weed Poppers, are great for flat weeds with tap roots, excellent for reming weeds from lawns.
- The Ninja weeder is the tool to use for weeding pot and containers, a scraping blade one end and a fork like tool at the other end.
- Hand Crack Weeders – designed to remove weeds from cracks between pavers.
Other Accessories that make weeding easier
Gardening Gloves are a must
Hand protection is important, and gardening gloves are the number one garden weeding tool, the best form of hand protection for any gardener.
Gardening Gloves help prevent, dirty hands and fingernails, cuts from thorns etc, blisters, broken fingernails and irritating sap from plants causing rashes.
A good pair of gardening gloves are essential. Gardening gloves are made from a variety of materials.
- Leather gardening gloves. Tough and great for those gardening tasks that involve thorns and rough materials
- Latex or rubber Gardening Gloves. Softer on the hands and great for general gardening tasks. They are also water resistant
- Material Gardening Gloves. Again soft on the hands and suitable for general garden weeding tasks.
Look for gloves that feel soft when you put them on, are comfortable and flexible and are designed for the task.
Save your knees, back as well as make it easier to getup and down, a garden kneeler makes weeding easier.