This mini greenhouse is made from repurposed (recycled) plastic vegetable containers, in this case mushroom containers. However just about any plastic container will do.
This mini greenhouse works with vegetable seeds and flower seeds and also with small cuttings.
You will need 2 or 3 of the same containers
- One as a tray for growing the seeds or plants in.
- One for the top cover
- An Optional one to act as a saucer or tray to stop water from leaking out if you are using it indoors.
How to Build The Mini Greenhouse
- For the growing tray you will need to make drainage holes in the bottom of the tray. You can drill these, cut them with a knife or scissors, whichever is easiest.
- The top cover will need to be trimmed a little so it sits inside the growing tray. You may wish to make one or two holes in the top cover for ventilation if it is tight fitting.
- The optional saucer tray will need a block of wood, or some pebbles inn it to lift the growing tray up and allow for drainage.
- All you need now is a growing medium for the seeds or cuttings.
Planting seeds or cuttings
- It is best to space seeds and cuttings out so that they are easier to remove.
- Taller cuttings will need a taller mini greenhouse than this and our simple soft drink greenhouse is one easy and cheap solution.
- Plastic storage tub greenhouses are also effective.
- You need to ensure that the seeds and cuttings are kept moist, never wet.
- Some liquid seaweed fertiliser will be beneficial once the seeds germinate.