Populus nigra ‘Italica’ (Lombardy Poplar) Plant Profile and Growing Hints
WHOLESALE POPULUS NIGRA ‘ITALICA’ NURSERIES
Used for many years in both urban and rural landscaping the Lombardy Poplar is Poplus nigra ‘Italica’. Originally planted for its fast growth rate and hardy habit this is a plant for larger gardens and parks. Readily available for sale from selected wholesale nurseries.
The Lombardy Poplar with its upright habit makes an excellent as screening tree or windbreak. Deciduous with good green foliage from spring-through summer and golden yellow in autumn.
Reaching 10 – 20 m in height with a spread of around 3 – 4 m. Fast growing and used widely in rural areas as well as besides roads and boulevards. Also suited a a feature tree in larder gardens and parks, not generally suited to smaller urban gardens.
Regarded as both drought tolerant and frost hardy once established hence its appeal in rural areas. Grows well along waterways. Space at around 4 – 5 m to line a road or driveway, closer as a windbreak.
Lombardy Poplar Problems
- Root system means that it can cause disruption to paved areas near by.
- Best planted away from drainage lines and sewer systems.
- The timber is brittle and can break in high winds
- The only other problem is a suckering habit, easily controlled and minimal if root systems are not disturbed.
Lombardy Poplar Summary
- Height – to 20m, often smaller in poor soils, however up to 30m in good conditions.
- Spread – This is an upright tree to a width of around 4m.
- Foliage – Deep green turning to golden yellow in autumn.’
- Soil – Best in a humus rich moist soil, however tolerant of poor soils, growth rate may be restricted in such soils.
- Drought tolerance – Good once established. Will require water over first few summers.
- Frost tolerant – Yes
- Pruning – Generally not required.
Poplus nigra are available for sale from the following wholesale growers.
(03) 9756 6105
Deciduous and evergreen trees and shrubs. Flowering, Fruiting and Ornamental. Bare root and containerised 20cm to advanced. Strictly wholesale.