Philadelphus, Plant Profile and Landscaping Uses
Philadelphus or ‘Mock Orange’ are a fragrant deciduous shrub growing from 1m to 6m. Philadelphus have masses of fragrant white flowers late in spring, the heavily scented species being a must for the fragrant garden.
Philadelphus do well as a feature shrub or at the back of the perennial border. Philadelphus ‘Beau Clerk’ with its large flowers is one of our favourites. Philadelphus delavayi (pictured right) is a wonderful species from China although not widely offered by wholesalers.
Full sun to partial shade in a moist well drained humus rich soil (the more sun the more flowers). Philadelphus may be prunes to maintain shape.
Excellent in mixed border plantings or as feature plants near pathways where the fragrance can be appreciated.
All grow well in a humus rich well drained soil with protection from the afternoon sun.
Wholesale growers offer a number of varieties all fragrant and all with attractive flowers.
- P. coronarius ‘Aurea’ – Very attractive lemon/lime foliage with fragrant white flowers in spring
- P. ‘Natchez’ – Masses of fragrant white flowers , mid green foliage
- P. x lemoinei – Old fashioned bushy shrub, masses of white flowers bred in France in the late 1800s.
- P. ‘Beauclerk’ – Flowers are large and have a pink blush in the centre, excellent when trained as a standard.
- P. Belle etoile – Large flowers, blushed with pink in the centre, very fragrant tending towards a small arching shrub.
- P. delavayi – The Chinese Mock Orange
WHOLESALE PHILADELPHUS NURSERIES
17 McCarthy Rd Monbulk, Vic, 3793, Australia
Specialising in propagation and production of over 900 species / varieties of ornamental plants, perennials & rare plants. Supplying nurseries, landscapers & others. Minimum quantities apply! Contact us to discuss plants or growing requirements.
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.