Pond Liners and Dam liners and are made from a long lasting EPDM which is an agricultural grade polyethylene or Butyle rubber. And although dam liners are used in large scale commercial and agricultural projects the principle applies to pond liners which are used widely in landscaping projects in homes and businesses.
Liners for Ponds serve a similar purpose to those for dams and tank, they are designed to save water by preventing leakage, a properly installed pond or dam liner is a great investment.
Substituting cheap pond liners for proper liners is not cost efficient in the long term, black plastic is not a good substitute, and if you need to empty a pond or dam to replalce a leaking liner, the cheap pond liner will not look like a good option.
What to look for in a pond liner
We have seen many ponds have been installed using a cheap substitute liner that eventually leaks, breaks down because of UV or is easily punctured . In the long term it is much more efficient both in terms of cost and time to use the right liner for the application.
So what are we looking for in a pond liner.
- Flexibility, the ability of the liner to naturally mould itself to the contours of the pond and not lose its structural integrity due to folds, joins or pleats.
- The ability to be repaired. Any liner can be damaged, however not all can be repaired or patched. UV resistance, sunlight breaks down most products, however a quality pond liner will last many years in the sun if it has built in UV resistance.
- Thickness, heavy duty liners are more durable than thin plastic, look for something that is at least 1.02mm thick.
- The ability to install drains and fountains without leaks, a quality pond liner will be flexible enough to allow leakproof installation of drains etc.
- Non toxic, a pond for fish, a holding pond for drinking water, or a larger swimming pond needs a non toxic liner.
Pond Liners and Dam Liners are available for sale from the following suppliers
16-18 Cromwell St, Collingwood, Vic.Australia 3067
Manufacturers and distributers of both domestic and commercial pond & dam liners. A great site for anyone interested in pond construction.
10-12 George St Sandringham VIC 3191
Retail and wholesale sales of pond and dam liners, shadecloth and shadesails, greenhouse films, weed-matting, solar protectors and pool covers.
Complete range with all major brands of quality irrigation & pump supplies and more. Buy online for wholesale prices. Freecall : 1800 244 389
Australia's largest range of Pond Pumps, Filters, liner, Lights, Fountain pumps, Waterfall spillways, Pond vacuum cleaners, Pond Water Treatment. of Oase, Eden, Laguna, FloJet, Pondmate, Blagdon, Onga, Project, Fishmate and more.
350 Princes Highway Officer. 3809
One of Australia's largest pottery retailerss . Range of Terra Cotta & Glazed Pottery, Giftware, Urns & Pedestals, Window Boxes. For landscape or DIY .
So what technical characteristics are we looking for in a pond liner?
- Stretch or elasticity,
- UV resistant,
- Non toxic
- Weldable (glues are not the best joining method for pond liners)
EDPM is a term used widely with pond liners but what does it mean ? Ethylene, Propylene, Diene, Monomer, it is a synthetic rubber that has a high degree of elasticity that all ows it mould itself to a wide range of shapes. Some are toxic, some are not, some can be welded some not..
Butyl Rubber is another term, again it is a synthetic rubber, Isobutylene and isoprene. Probably the most versatile of all pond liners, it can be welded, can be folded to use in formal box ponds and is non toxic.
Calculation of materials needed
- The length is determined by the overall length plus twice the maximum depth.
- The width is determined by the overall width plus twice the maximum depth.
- It is advisable to add at least 200mm to both the length and the width for edge anchoring and variables.
- A simple liner measurement can be roughly calculated by determining the width length and depth of the pond
- So length is calculated by the overall length plus double the depth
- Width is calculated by the width plus double the depth
- Depth must be at the deepest position
- It is essential to add some overhang for edge anchoring and variations.
However any good liner supplier will calculate this for you. You need to do the measurements accurately first