Misome – An easy to grow Leafy Vegetable
It’s a new vegetable, it’s easy to grow and it’s called Misome. A leafy green hybrid vegetable that is fast growing and very tasty. The botanical name is Brassica campestris narinosa and it is a hybrid between two other Japanese leafy green vegetables, Komatsuna and Tatsoi.
The leaves are heavily textured, a little like Kale, glossy and tender. The flavour tends to intensify as the leaves mature.
This is a ‘cut and come again’ vegetable that can be grown in containers as well as in the vegetable garden. Grow it from seed, or from seedlings. Fast growing and ready to harvest in around 4 weeks from planting the taste is nutty with a slight mustard flavour.
The leaves and stems can be cooked into a stir fry, and if picked young can be used in salads. The leaves and stalks can also be used for pickling
How to grow Misome.
- Seeds can be sown directly into the vegetable garden. The best time to plant is between spring and early summer. You can also plant in late summer. In warmer climates you could plant year round if adequate moisture is available.
- Use a a good organic soil with some mushroom compost and aged manure mixed through.
- Choose a position in full sun to afternoon shade.
- Keep seeds and seedlings moist until plants are established. Seeds should germinate in around 7 days as long as soil temperature is above 12 C.
- Thin plants to around 10 cm apart.
- Mulch around plants to help retain moisture and keep weeds at bay.
- Harvest after 4 weeks when plants should reach around 20 to 30 cm in height.
Seeds are available for sale online
You May Also Like
Try Misome in a stir fry with these ingredients.
- Shiitake Mushrooms.
- Misome (add the stalks before the leaves)
You can also add some finely cut beef with some Soy sauce, or Ketjap Manis
To Buy Misome, try the following nurseries
KALLINYALLA NURSERY – Phone: 0428822725.
Shaen St Port Lincoln, SA, 5606
KLEMZIG GARDEN CENTRE – Phone: 08 8369 0338
32 O G Rd Klemzig, SA, 5087
In Victoria try
MT EVELYN GARDEN CENTRE - Phone: (03) 9736 1162
126 York Rd, Mount Evelyn VIC 3796
Excellent range of herbs and vegetables, full range of general nursery lines, pots and garden statues
AJS BULLOCK NURSERY – Phone: 03 9890 3162
48 Cosier Dr Noble Park, VIC, 3174
ACORN NURSERY – Phone: 03 5141 1900 673
Canterbury Rd Surrey Hills, VIC, 3127
AUSSIE GOLD PLANT NURSERY – Phone: 03 5428 7929
126 Amess Rd Riddells Creek, VIC, 3431
In New South Wales
Try BERRIMA COTTAGE NURSERY – Phone: 02 4877 2929
28 Old Hume Hwy Berrima, NSW, 2577
BALCONY IN BLOOM – Phone: 02 9905 2462
10 Green St Brookvale, NSW, 2100
ANNANDALE GARDEN CENTRE – Phone: 02 9660 0874
36 Booth St Annandale, NSW, 2038
BONNYRIGG GARDEN CENTRE – Phone: 02 9610
5366 Elizabeth Dr Bonnyrigg Heights, NSW, 2177