With large sweetly scented purple flowers the ‘Missimo’ lilac is a small to medium sized shrub that will reach around 2.5 – 3m in height. The flowers appear in large clusters in spring and this deciduous shrub also has attractive heart shaped foliage.
This is a lilac variety that is suited to smaller gardens, ist grows well in a sunny position in a well drained humus rich soil.
Choose a sunny position and work the soil over well before planting.
Add some well rotted cow manure and compost.Plant with the bud union around 10 cm (3-4 inches) below the soil level.
Water in well after flowering with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool moist root run.
- Renew mulch each spring.
- Fertilise with as new growth appear in spring, and prune to size and shape after flowering.
- Botanical Name – Syringa x hyacinthiflora ‘Missimo’
- Common Name Syringa -‘Missimo Lilac’, Purple flowering lilac.
- Position – Full sun.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained.
- Height – 2.5 – 3m
- Spread – To around 2m across.
- Growth Habit – Upright shrub
- Growth Rate – Moderate
- Foliage – Hearty shaped green
- Flowers – Single purple flowers in large clusters.
- Flowering Time – Spring
- Fragrance – Sweet fragrance of good intensity.
- Pruning – prune immediately after flowering.