Chinese cedar or Toon-Tree
If you have ever been walking in spring and wondered what those tall trees with the absolutely brilliant bright pink foliage are, they could well be the Toone Tree or Chinese Cedar.
The botanical name is Cedrela sinensis syn. Toona sinensis. It is also known as the Chinese flamingo tree.
These wonderful trees will grow to around 7-9m and are upright in habit, the foliage does not stay pink, but turns to a nice green by summer. In autumn the Toone tree puts on another display of colour turning to yellow before losing its foliage for the winter.
Growth rate is regarded as moderate and the Chinese Cedar does like a cold winter so grows well in cooler climates such as Melbourne
Care – How to Grow Cedrela sinensis
A well drained soil is essential and these trees are best in areas where they do not receive heavy frosts in spring.
- When planting dig the hole twice the width as the pot the tree came in and just a little deeper.
- Add some aged compost and cow manure to the soil removed from the hole.
- Adjust the depth of the hole to the same as the plat was in the pot by adding some of the soil and compost mix.
- Place the plant in the hole.
- Backfill with more of the soil and compost mix.
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch around the plant.
- Water well through dry periods in the first few summers.
Uses as ornamental trees in gardens as well as parks and commercial landscaping projects.
Species and varieties
Not all foliage is pink when new, some cultivars have a much deeper red. The new young shoots are sometimes used as a vegetable in China, and the seeds as ‘sprouts’.
These trees will sucker so do not be afraid to remove any that you do not want. You can also prune them back in winter if you wish.
- Botanical Name – Cedrela sinensis
- Common Names – Chinese Cedar, Toon Tree.
- Position – Full Sun
- Soil – Humus rich and well drained.
- Height – To around 7 – 9 metres.
- Spread – To around 3 metres.
- Growth Rate – Fast.
- Foliage – Brilliant pink when new turning to green in summer.
- Frost tolerant – Yes
- Drought tolerant – Medium.
Toone trees are available for sale form the following nurseries
412 James Lane, Fern Hill VIC. 3458 - Phone 0419002651
Large range of Rare plants, Climbers, Bulbs, Perennials Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. Available both Retail and by Mail Order
125 Palmer Rd Jindivick 3818
Open Thursday - Sunday 10am - 4pm
Specialising in growing and selling Rare and Unusual Trees, shrubs Perennials Bulbs and Climbers, a unique nursery with amazing stock.