It is both the attractive flowers and the bright green foliage that make this such an interesting plant. The flowers are large to around 20 cm across, white blushed with pink. The foliage is a bright green which gives a shaded are of the garden a real lift, and in autumn they turn to a golden yellow.
A sunny position with at least 6 hours of sun is best. A well drained soil is essential.
- Dig soil over well before planting and improve drainage if needed.
- Plant at the same level as the plant was in the container.
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool root run.
- Water during long dry periods over the first few summers.
Botanical Name – Calycanthus chinensis (syn. Sinocalycanthus-chinensis)
Common Name – Chinese wax shrub.
Position – Morning sun
Soil – Well drained, humus rich
Height – To around 3 metres
Spread – To around 3 metres.
Flowers – White blushed with pink
Flowering Time – Spring to summer
Foliage – Mid green
Frost tolerance – Medium to light frosts only.
Drought tolerance – No
Calycanthus chinensis is available for sale from the following participating nurseries.
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.