A white flowering species, Daphne Odora Alba not only has highly perfumed flowers it also have white flowers.
This is a vigorous and very fragrant Daphne and the starry white flowers make it a standout in the shade garden.
In winter this small evergreen shrub is covered with masses of blooms that contrast well against the deep green foliage.
This is a species with a medium growth rate and it will easily get to 1 metre in height, taller in ideal conditions. D. odora ‘Star White’ is a named cultivar said to be hardier than the species.
Care and Cultivation
Choose a position in dappled shade and Daphne Odora Alba will thrive. Deep shade will inhibit flower production and fragrance.
- Ensure that the soil is free draining.
- Prepare the soil well by digging in good amounts of compost and some well rotted cow manure.
- Make the hole twice as wide as the pot to encourage good root development.
- Plant at the same depth Daphne Odora Alba was in the container.
- Backfill and water in well with a liquid seaweed or fish emulsion.
- Lightly mulch around the plant to ensure a cool root run.
- Fertilise with a top dressing of blood and bone is late autumn and again in mid winter.
- Avoid digging around the root system as like all Daphnes this plant resents root disturbance.
You can also grow Daphne Odora Alba in a container in a shaded courtyard.
Daphne odora Alba is available for sale from the following nurseries and growers
21 Eridge Park Rd Bowral NSW 2576
Large range of rare plants, bulbs, trees and shrubs for sale online from our Southern Highlands NSW nurseries.
125 Palmer Rd Jindivick 3818
Open Thursday - Sunday 10am - 4pm
Specialising in growing and selling Rare and Unusual Trees, shrubs Perennials Bulbs and Climbers, a unique nursery with amazing stock.
412 James Lane, Fern Hill VIC. 3458 - Phone 0419002651
Large range of Rare plants, Climbers, Bulbs, Perennials Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. Available both Retail and by Mail Order