Veronica spicata – ‘Spiked Speedwell’
A clump forming perennial, Veronica spicata is commonly known as ’Spiked Speedwell’. It lives up to its name with spikes of mid to deep purple flowers, rising above the foliage from summer to autumn. A pink flowering variety as well as a white form are also available for sale
This is a plant that attracts, bees, insects and ladybirds to the garden, just as an added interest. This is a fairly low growing bushy plant, excellent in the garden border, cottage garden or even grown in containers.
Foliage is a mid to deep green and will die back a little in cool climates, so it really is evergreen to semi deciduous depending on the climate.
Veronica spicata Varieties
- V. spicata ‘Deep Blue’ – Excellent deep blue flowers.
- V. spicata ‘Alba’ – very similar with white flowers.
- V. spicata ‘ Romiley Purple’
- V. spicata ‘Barcarolle’ – Pink flowers.
- V. spicata ssp incana – Silver foliage on this rarely offered variety.
- V. spicta ‘Pink’ -Pale pink flowers.
Veronica spicata Care
Although these are an evergreen, this is a better looking plant, and more floriforous if cut back in late winter. You will see new foliage shooting out from the base of the plant in winter, prune back to just above this.
Plant in a humus rich soil and water in well, mulch around the plants to maintain a cool moist root run. You may need to water in long dry periods during summer.
- Height – 35 to 50cm.
- Spread – 30 cm
- Flowering period – Summer to Autumn.
- Position – Full sun to a little shade
- Soil – Humus rich well drained.
- Frost tolerance – Moderate to Good.
- Drought tolerance – Medium.
Available for sale from the following online nurseries
P O Box 398 Creswick Vic 3363
Retail & Mail Order Specialist Growers of Heritage Roses, Unusual Perennials, Tree & Herbaceous Peonies. Mail order and Nursery Sales.
'Umbango' 750 Humula Rd, Humula NSW 2652
Phone 0408692773 Great Range of Perennial plants available for sale by mail order.