With lilac purple flowers from mid summer into autumn, Verbena rigida ‘Polaris’ is an easy care spreading perennial. Sometimes called ‘Slender Vervain’, this is a plant that spread naturally by rhizomes.
It will reach around 40 cm in height and form a clump to around 50 cm across. A very hardy plant once established it is easy care and a good addition to the garden.
Verbena rigida ‘Polaris’ Care
Best grown in full sun to a little afternoon shade it is suited to a humus rich well drained soil.
Prune back in autumn/fall and fertilise with an organic type fertiliser in spring.
Grown for the flowers that appear over a number of weeks as well its its dense growing nature that tends to suppress weeds this is a great little cottage garden plant.
- Botanical Name – Verbena rigida f. lilacina ‘Polaris’
- Common Name – Verbena ‘Polaris’
- Position – Full Sun to a little shade.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained
- Height – To 40 cm
- Spread – To 50 cm
- Flowers – Lilac purple.
- Flowering Time – Summer onwards
- Foliage – Mid Green
- Drought tolerant – Yes once established
- Frost tolerant – Medium.