Teucrium fruticans – Silver Germander
With attractive foliage and flowers Teucrium fruticans is a low growing bushy shrub with lilac blue flowers in spring.
Also known as the ’Silver Germander’, this is a hardy drought tolerant plant, aromatic silvery green foliage and very easy to prune to shape.
Best grown in full sun and a well drained soil is a must. As long as drainage is good, it will tolerate a range of soil conditions including coastal soils.
When first planted you will need to water Teucrium fruticans through its first summer, once established, little to no extra watering will be required.
Use this is a Mediterranean style garden, suited for use as a stand alone shrub, as a semi formal hedge or for growing in containers. The best time to prune is after flowering, for a more formal look, clip lightly 3 to 4 times a year when in active growth.
For heeding try a planting distance or spacing at 75 cms to 1 metre.
Can be used as a substitute for a Lavender hedge, and is usually longer lived.
Teucrium fruticans Varieties
- F. fruticans azura ‘Silver and Saphire’ – Silvery foliage with deep blue to purple flowers.
- F. fruticans ’Silver Box’ – Grey green foliage and pale blue to lilac flowers.
- Position – Full sun to part shade.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained.
- Fertiliser – Use a slow release type in spring and a liquid type at the end of spring.
- Mulch – Mulch around the plants to maintain a cool root run.
- Watering – Water well through the first summer. After this you should only need to water during long dry periods.
- Pruning – The best time to prune is after flowering.
Teucrium fruticans is available for sale from the following participating nurseries.
52 Rodd St Canowindra NSW 2804
An online nursery specialising in drought and frost tolerant perennials and fragrant, edible and herbs.
395 Lesters Rd Ascot VIC 3364 - phone (03) 53434303
Specialising in beautiful perennials & bulbs including new releases from Europe & USA. Many hardy, rare & difficult to find ‘drought hardy’ plants, quality vegetable & flower seeds.