Rheum palmatum var. tanguticum or Ornamental Rhubarb
New foliage is tinged with a rusty red which turns to green as it ages. Tall pink flower spikes in summer and large leaves is why this plant is used as an ‘architectural’ or ‘foliage plant’ in the UK.
Like other Rheum palmatum varieties it is clump forming and prefers a humus rich moist position with protection from the afternoon sun.
We have lots of requests for this herbaceous plant, grown for its foliage. Unfortunately it is NOT READILY AVAILABLE in Australia at present.
It seems that people are searching for it as a foliage plant and for its supposed medicinal uses, it is said that the roots are used in some Asian countries. However Rheum palmatum var. tanguticum is NOT an edible rhubarb.
- Height – 2 metres to 3 metres.
- Spread – Clump forming to 2 metres.
- Position – Full sun to part shade, afternoon shade in warmer climates.
- Soil – Humus rich and moist.
- Foliage – Large green and ornamental, heavily divided with a deep crimson underside..
- Flowers – Red rising above the foliage on spikes. (Other varieties are Mid to deep pink)
- Flowering period – summer.