Papaver rupifragum or Spanish Poppy plants and seeds
Papaver rupifragum or Spanish Poppy is a long flowering old fashioned garden plant that blooms during summer. Cultivars such as ‘Orange Feathers’, ‘Tangerine Gem’ grow well in a humus rich moist soil in part shade to full sun.
How to grow Spanish Poppies.
Ferilize with a liquid seaweed based fertilizer during early growth and top dress lightly with well rotted manure early in spring. Spanish poppies can be grown from seedlings or seed and will self seed unless deadheaded. Plants are available for sale online from Mail Order Nurseries.
- Height – Will reach 40 – 60 cm in height when in bloom.
- Spread – 4 – 6 cm, however usually plants in clumps or drifts.
- Position – Full Sun
- Soil – Humus rich well drained.
- Foliage – Grey green with toothed leaves.
- Flower colour – Orange, although cultivars that vary are available with red and other shades..
Best grown from seed sown directly to the garden, seedlings dislike being transplanted so choose a permanent position.
These cheerful little poppies are best grown as a part of a mixed perennial border or cottage garden where they can be allowed to self seed and pop up between other plants.
Available for sale from the following nurseries
357 Monbulk Road SILVAN VIC 3795
Guaranteed "garden worthy" bulbs, plants and perennials. Visit the website to browse our large range of daffodils or request the latest free catalogue.