With large colourful flowers, Peony Poppies are Papaver Paeoniflorum hybrids. They have large peony like flowers and come in a wide range of colours. The flowers appear on tallish stems above mid green basal foliage. They are long flowering and make a great addition to a cottage garden and can also be grown in containers,
Once the plants are established they require moisture and good sun. Space Peopny Poppies at around 30 – 40 cms apart. From sowing seed to flowering will take around 20 weeks.
Spacing is important as crowded plants will produce smaller and less flowers.
Best grown in full sun or just little afternoon shade. Deep shade is not suitable.
Keep moist when first planting and provide some moisture through winter and spring during any long dry periods..
A liquid fertiliser applied every 3 weeks after germination will ensure good growth. A seaweed or fish emulsion type fertiliser is ideal. Any organic fertiliser will do.
How to grow Peony Poppies from seed
You can grow Peony Poppies from seed. The best time to sow the seeds in early autumn.
- This is a plant that is best sown directly, you can sow the seeds in pots such as the coir pots that can be planted directly into the garden in spring.
- You can also grow the plants in containers if you choose a largish pot around 30 cm (12 inches)
- The seed should be sown on a fine sieved surface with a light covering of sieved soil just covering the seed. Keep the seeds most until germination which generally takes around 2 – 3 weeks.
- Botanical Name – Papaver Paeoniflorum.
- Common Name – Peony Poppy
- Family – Papaveraceae
- Position – Full sun to a little shade.
- Soil – Well drained, humus rich soils.
- Height – To around 60 cm
- Spread – To around .2 metres.
- Growth rate – Medium.
- Flowers – Crimson Red, White, Pink, Purple,Yellow.
- Flowering time – Spring to summer.
- Foliage – Mid olive green.
- Frost tolerant – Light frosts only.
- Drought tolerant – Yes, once established.
Peony Poppies, Plants and seeds are available for sale from the following nurseries
Specialising in Rare and Unusual Peonies (American, Chinese, Japanese, Herbaceous & Itoh) and Brugmansia's. We also sell (hard to find) plants and bulbs.
Farm sales from September to December or by appointment (Marie) 0416 166 397
View us on eBay www.ebay.com.au/str/josies-joy for Mail Order
395 Lesters Rd Ascot VIC 3364 - phone (03) 53434303
Specialising in beautiful perennials & bulbs including new releases from Europe & USA. Many hardy, rare & difficult to find ‘drought hardy’ plants, quality vegetable & flower seeds.