The Nicotiana that we look at here are the ornamental varieties
With over 60 species Nicotiana are a varied group of plants growing naturally in South America, Australia and North America.
With such geographical diversity the genus itself provides gardeners with diverse group of plants. This is the genus from where we get the tobacco plant or Nicotiana tabacum the plant of commerce. Hence the two names, Nicotine and Tobacco.
A few common characteristics including long tubular flowers are present in all species, some also make great foliage plants. With other species a tendency to self seed gives them a status of weeds in some areas. Nicotiana gluaca is one that is a declared weed.
Summary Growing Conditions.
- Most varieties require full sun to light shade.
- A humus rich well drained soil is best.
- Most varieties have poor frost tolerance.
However the genus also gives us some useful garden plants as well.
- Nicotiana mutabilis – This is the Flowering Tobacco from Brazil is a relatively new discovery.
- Nicotiana sylvestris – White trumpet shaped flowers with a good fragrance, is also used in the garden
- Nicotiana langsdorffii – Lime green flowers on a plant that will reach .5m plus.
Nicotiana varieties are available for sale from the following participating nurseries
52 Rodd St Canowindra NSW 2804
An online nursery specialising in drought and frost tolerant perennials and fragrant, edible and herbs.
395 Lesters Rd Ascot VIC 3364 - phone (03) 53434303
Specialising in beautiful perennials & bulbs including new releases from Europe & USA. Many hardy, rare & difficult to find ‘drought hardy’ plants, quality vegetable & flower seeds.
412 James Lane, Fern Hill VIC. 3458 - Phone 0419002651
Large range of Rare plants, Climbers, Bulbs, Perennials Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. Available both Retail and by Mail Order