Loins’s Tail Plant
With large orange flowers in whorls, Leonotis leonurus is commonly called the Lion’s Tail plant or ‘Dagga’.
This is an evergreen perennial shrub that holds its flower son upright stems.
Also known as ‘Wild Dagga’ this is a native plant from South Africa , after flowering the seed heads that form are often used in flower arrangements.
This is a species that will self seed, deadhead after flowering to prevent self seeding if desired.
Looking great in a cottage garden it is also well suited for planting as a low informal hedge or border. Tolerant of dry soils once established, Orange Lion’s Tail can be planted with other perennials such as Nepeta, Lavender, Agastache and similar species that grow in sunny positions with good drainage.
Best in a humus rich moist soil, Leonotis leonurus will require a little extra water during very dry summers.
Planting Leonotis leonurus
- Choose a sunny position with a well drained soil.
- Plant and water in using a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch around the plant to suppress weeds and maintain a cool root run.
- A little fertiliser each spring will be all that is required.
- During long hot dry spells some supplements water may be required.
- Botanical Name – Leonotis leonurus
- Common Names – Lion’s Tail, Orange Lion’s Tail, Dagga.
- Origin – South Africa
- Height – To around 2m in good conditions.’ Spread – To around 1.4m.
- Position – Full sun to a little shade.
- Soil – Humus rich moist and well drained ph Neutral
- Flower colour – Bright Orange.
- Flowering period – Mid to Late summer to Autumn.
- Foliage – Mid green lanceolate
- Drought tolerant – No to medium. However fairly hardy.
- Frost tolerant – Yes
Prune back after flowering to maintain shape and a compact bushy habit. We like to cut back to 15 to 20 cm each year.
A white flowering variety is also available.
Leonotis leonurus is available for sale from the following nurseries
412 James Lane, Fern Hill VIC. 3458 - Phone 0419002651
Large range of Rare plants, Climbers, Bulbs, Perennials Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. Available both Retail and by Mail Order
Little Hampton, Vic 345
"Mail order nursery specialising in cottage garden perennials, flowering shrubs, Trilliums, Hostas and Pacific Coast Iris. Flat rate express postage - Except WA & TAS"