A very popular form of Lavandula stoechas, Avonview Lavender has fragrant flowers and foliage, and a good compact growth habit.
Flowering from spring right through until autumn, the flowers are typical ‘butterfly’ eyes, and a good purple colour.
Grown in the garden border as well being used as hedging plant, the plant is actually a hybrid between Lavandula stoechas and Lavandula viridis. It reaches a good height and is suited for use a hedge, or pruned to make a low rounded mound.
This is a low care plant once established.
- Ensure a well drained humus rich soil.
- Plant in full sun to a little shade.
- Water in with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Tip prune from a young age.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool root run and suppress weeds
The best time to prune is after flowering, simply cut back 1/3 of the foliage below the flowers without going back into old wood with no green growth on it.
- Botanical Name – Lavandula stoechas ‘Avonview’
- Common Name – Avonview Lavender.
- Height – To 1 metre
- Spread – To 1 metre
- Growth Rate – Fast to Medium.
- Soil – Humus rich, well drained and slightly alkaline.
- Position – Full sun to a little shade.
- Foliage – Mid olive grey green.
- Flowers – Purple with butterfly wings
- Fragrant – Yes.
- Drought tolerant – Yes once established.
- Frost tolerant – Yes
- Coastal conditions – Second line
Lavender Avonview Hedge
Avonview does make a good informal hedging plant as it does reach a good size. If you prepare the soil well before planting you will find that the hedge last longer.
- Dig in some compost and also a little lime. In clay soils you may need to improve the drainage by raising the garden bed a little.
- Spacing of around 40cm will make a good dense hedge over time, for faster results plant with a spacing of 30cm.
- Tip prune new hedge plants to promote a good bushy habit. This encourages more branching at an early age and will be well worth it in the long run.
Avonview Lavender is available for sale from the following participating nurseries
470 Monbulk-Silvan Road Monbulk VIC 3793
"Guaranteed mail order flowering bulbs, perennials, roses, trees, landscaping plants, garden accessories and community fundraising Austra lia-wide."