A foliage plant for shade with attractive flowers, Disporum cantoniense is a species that is slow clump forming and not invasive as some of its relatives seem to be.
This is a plant for the shade border, it adds a little height so can be positioned back a little. We do like it far the front of the border as well where the flowers and foliage can be appreciated.
You could also grow Disporum cantoniense in a container in shaded courtyard.
Disporum cantoniense Care
Best grown in a humus rich soil with some moisture. Dappled shade is essential and we mulch around the plant each spring.
Over time the clump will grow through the spread of underground rhizomes. The spread is relatively slow and does not present a problem in our garden.
Although this is an evergreen to semi evergreen plant depending on the climate, we think it is at its best with regular pruning.
Simply cut it back to the ground in winter, this way the new foliage and stems stand out and look fresh
Any general purpose liquid fertiliser will do. The time to fertilise is in spring. We like to add some compost and aged cow manure in early spring as well
Easy from seed and also by division of established clumps near the end of winter.
- Botanical Name – Disporum cantoniense (syn Disporum longistylum)
- Common Names – Chinese Fairy Bells, Night heron, Canton Fairy Bells.
- Origins – From Nepal through to Vietnam in forested areas.
- Position – Dappled shade.
- Soil – Humus rich moist soil.
- Height – Generally to around 1 – 2 metres
- Spread – Clump forming with top foliage to around .5 metres.
- Growth Rate – Medium to Fast
- Foliage – New foliage is deep red turning to green, on tall bamboo like stems
- Flowers – Creamy yellow to white followed by deep purple berries.
- Flowering Time – Spring to summer.
- Frost tolerant – No
- Drought tolerant – Medium
Disporum cantoniense is available for sale from the following nurseries
125 Palmer Rd Jindivick 3818
Open Thursday - Sunday 10am - 4pm
Specialising in growing and selling Rare and Unusual Trees, shrubs Perennials Bulbs and Climbers, a unique nursery with amazing stock.
'Sylvan Vale' 375 Olinda Creek Rd, Kalorama, VIC.3766
Including a large range of Rare and unusual bulbs, corms and perennials