This is a fascinating plant and Bidens ferulifolia has its place in the garden as well as in hanging baskets. The flowers are a golden yellow and last from mid spring right through until the end of summer.
With the common name of ‘Tickseed’ the plant was formerly known as Coreopsis ferulifolia.
The interest comes from the different forms, some are upright and will form a large plant over time. Others are lower growing or trailing.
All are vigorous and all have masses of yellow flowers from summer through to autumn.
Originally from Mexico, it is the cultivars such as Bidens ferulifolia ‘Bidy Gonzales’ that are the most popular. These are lower growing at around half the height of the species.
Bidens ferulifolia varieties include :
- B. ferulifolia ‘Tweety’ – To around 40cm in height.
- B. ferulifolia ‘ Yellow Charm’ – Low growing to around 20 – 30 cm
- B. ferulifolia ‘Sunnyside’ – Larger flowers than some.
- B. ferulifolia ‘Goldilocks Rocks’ – To around 40cm in height
- B. ferulifolia ‘Flair’ – Reaches around 40cm in height.
Excellent in hanging baskets, also suited to a sunny position in the border or a container. Very attractive to bees, butterflies and insects when in flower.
Bidens ferulifolia Care
Prepare soil before planting by amending with some well rotted compost. Division and pruning are also very easy.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain moisture and a cool root run.
- Water in well with aliquot seaweed fertiliser.
- Use a slow release fertiliser in spring.
- Over time Bidens ferulifolia will form a clump and can be divided in spring for propagation.
- After the first flush of flowers, give the plant a light trim with hedging shears to maintain a compact shape if desired.
- Botanical Name – Bidens ferulifolia (syn. Coreopsis ferulifolia)
- Common Name – Tickseed
- Family – Asteracear
- Height – Species to 60 cm cultivars to 30cm
- Spread – 30 – 45 cm
- Growth rate – Fast
- Position – Full Sun
- Soil – Humus rich well drained with some moisture.
- Flower colour – Golden Yellow
- Foliage – Mid to deep green and fernlike.
- Frost Tolerant – No
Bidens varieties are available for sale from the following nurseries