An Aster that forms a rhizome that makes it a tough little plant Aster macrophyllus ‘Twilight’ will grow well in part shade to full sun depending on the climate. What makes this such a useful plant is that it will flower well in shaded areas, always a bonus.
It grows well in a range of soils including sandy soils and it will cope with clay soils as long as it does not become waterlogged.
Useful as a ground cover plant as well as for attracting birds and bees to the garden.
Like most Asters, we suggest planting in groups of three, dig the soil over well, add some aged cow manure, plant and water in.
Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool moist root run and help suppress weeds.
Aster macrophyllus ‘Twilight’ Details
- Botanical Name – Aster macrophyllus ‘Twilight’
- Common Name – Aster ‘Twilight’
- Position – Full sun to part shade
- Soil – A humus rich well drained soil is best, although tolerant of a range of soils.
- Water requirements – Generally low water requirements however will perform best with some extra water during long dry spells.
- Height – To 60cm when in flower
- Spread – Clump forming to around 60cm
- Frost tolerant – Yes
- Growth rate – Medium
Aster macrophyllus ‘Twilight’ is available for sale from the following nurseries.
357 Monbulk Road SILVAN VIC 3795
Guaranteed "garden worthy" bulbs, plants and perennials. Visit the website to browse our large range of daffodils or request the latest free catalogue.