Drip Irrigation Systems
Drip Irrigation systems for gardens, nurseries, lawns and trees are one of the most efficient methods of watering a garden or vegetable garden and are readily available for sale online. These systems can effectively water trees, lawns and pots and when installed are generally trouble free if routine maintenance is carried out.
Nurseries have been using drip irrigation systems for growing trees in containers for many years, orchards, home gardens, commercial gardens and sporting ovals can all use these systems effectively.
Drip irrigation is an efficient fixed watering system suitable for the home garden. Systems can be installed on top of the ground and simply covered with mulch or below ground.
Depending on requirements, most systems can work with mains water, tank water or grey water systems.
Timers and controllers can be installed to automate the watering process. water can be delivered at the best time if the day to maximise water saving and promote healthy plant growth.
This type of irrigation works by slowly releasing water directly onto the ground close to the roots of the plants. This slow release of water minimises run off and allows water to penetrate deeply to where the water is most needed.
Installing drip irrigation systems can be carried out by a professional irrigation installer or in many cases installation can be DIY carried out by a competent home handyman.
When installing Drip irrigation systems in the home garden they are usually installed beneath a layer of mulch.
The poly tubing used is placed through the garden in a pattern that reaches the root systems of all plants, drippers are installed and for best results the tubing is then pinned to the ground to prevent movement.
The drip system is often attached to a pressure reducing valve and then the timer and any other control devices. Weeping systems emit water along the length of the hose rather than through droppers or emitters.
- Raised garden beds are an excellent place to install a drip irrigation system.
- Underground or sub surface drip irrigation systems for lawns are also available. These systems generally need to be installed before the lawn is laid.
- Controllers for drip irrigation systems vary greatly, from a simple tap to turn the system on and off, to electronic controllers that allow preprogrammed irrigation times and zoned watering. Rain sensing controllers that turn the system off are also available. Soil moisture sensors can also be fitted to drip systems, these can be adjusted to turn off or on the irrigation depending on detected soil moisture in the garden.
Drip Irrigation Features and Accessories
Water is slowly released either using sections of weeping hose for general garden areas of ‘drip emitters’ which provide a highly targeted water flow.
Filters for drip irrigation systems
As the drippers usually have very small outlets or openings it is common practice to fit filters to drip systems to prevent clogging and blockages.
Soil Moisture Sensors
Soil moisture sensors can be installed to automatically shut of systems during wet periods.
The same effect can be employed with a rain sensor which simply shuts the system down as soon as it rains.
Is a drip irrigation system suitable for your garden?
Most gardens are suited to drip systems of some form, it may simply be the vegetable garden, a garden border, a rose bed or the whole garden.
- Determine how much you are watering you do and in which parts of the garden.
- Ask, do you wish to save water, the answer should be yes. Ask if you wish to save time, well you could spend the watering time weeding and pruning, so again the answer should be yes.
Well in that case a drip irrigation system is for you.
Drip Irrigation Systems and accessories are available from the following online suppliers.
Extensive range of quality irrigation products including Hunter and Rainbird, delivered to your door. Quality products, quality service and simply the lowest prices. Order online. Huge range of irrigation products at wholesale prices