Its great to know what you can harvest in winter in Melbourne, as well as knowing what to plant. So although you can harvest some vegetables in winter you can also Check out our vegetable planting guide for Melbourne.
So although there are not a lot of Vegetables to harvest in Winter in Melbourne, below we list the ones we grow and harvest, and so can you.
With this list it will depend a little on where you live, even in greater Melbourne it is different between inner and bayside suburbs and the hills of the outer east. So you may need to experiment a little.
Here is our list of the best Vegetable to harvest in Melbourne Winter Months.
Winter lettuce and Peas, along with the some of the Brassicas (Cabbage Family) can all be harvested in winter.
For winter lettuce look for the loose leaf types such as:
- Lambs Lettuce
- Rouge d hiver
- Tokyo Bekana which is actually a cabbage however you can eat the leaves as a lettuce.
- Little Gem and Cos.
- The Oakleaf types.
- Imperial Triumph (a hearting type)
Other Winter Vegetables Include
- Broccoli Raab or Rapini can be harvested in winter, you can eat the leaves or wait until the small florets appear and eat them as well.
- Spinach and Swiss Chard
- Perpetual Spinach
- Winter Radish such as the ‘Black Spanish Round’ the colourful Watermelon radish also known as Red Meat Radish, and of course our old favourite Daikon Radish — all are known as winter radishes.
- Red Shallots and Potato onions (The red shallots are sweeter)
- Also Yakon (Peruvian Ground Apples) can be harvested early winter.
- Asparagus is really an early spring crop, however in warmer areas it can be late winter.