Perilla is a herb or leafy green grown widely throughout Asia. Two forms are available, a green form and a red form. Both are grown and used in the same way.
Also known as shiso or Zi Su it is most widely used in Japan and Vietnam. It is also used in Korea as a cooking oil and salad dressing, the oil is extracted from the seeds of the green form.
How to Grow Perilla in pots.
Perilla should be grown in full sun to afternoon shade in warmer climates
- Choose a large pot and use a good quality potting mix.
- Add some organic type fertiliser.
- Plant the seeds at around 6mm (1/4 inch) deep.
- Seeds should be planted and covered with a fine sifted soil.
- Water in with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Keep the soil moist but not wet and soggy.
How to harvest Perilla
Simply snip of the amount you need with sharp scissors. Regular harvesting will help make a bushy dense plant.
Did you know.
- Perilla is part of the mint family.
- Red Perilla is also used as an ornamental plant.
- Green and Red varieties of this Asian Herb are used as a garnish, in tempura, in sashimi. The leaves are also pickled