If you are new to vegetable growing then growing beans from seeds is a great place to start. They come in many varieties including Climbing Beans and Bush Beans, as well as red, yellow and green varieties.
Beans are grown for seed pods which are generally picked before they mature, while the seeds are still soft.
Bean seeds are easy to germinate and grow, and they come in many varieties including dwarf and climbing, snake beans and broad beans. The climbing varieties are particularly good for smaller gardens and are easy to grow on a fence or trellis.
Growing and planting bean seeds is not difficult, remember to provide adequate support when planting climbing beans. Beans are grown across Australia. They are a plant that generally require full sun and a well drained soil rich in humus or organic matter.
Planting and growing bean seeds
Plant bean seeds when frost conditions have passed. Beans should be planted approx 10cm deep and 60cm apart. It is a good idea to put supporting or climbing poles in place before planting so as not to disturb roots.
The time for bean seeds to germinate depends on conditions, but generally 7 – 14 days. Beans are an excellent plant for children to grow from seed.
Beans like to be kept moist, but be careful not to over water. Once you have picked beans, plants can be dug into the soil or composted.
- Scarlet Runner‘ is an early variety.
- ‘Purple Queen’ is a high yielding french bean.
- Bush Beans
- Dwarf ‘Borlotti’ can be harvested early as green bean or left to dry.
- Butter ‘Cherokee Wax’ is a yellow dwarf variety.
- ‘Coles Early Dwarf’ is an early Broad Bean
- ‘Blue Lake Climbing’ is a highly productive climbing variety.
- Dwarf Bean “Snapbean” is a stringless variety.
- “Snake Beans” are used in stir fry and along with the Madagascar Bean and Winged Beans are more suitable for warmer climates, or summer crops.
- Flat Beans – Also known as Helda Beans, Italian Flat Beans and Romano Beans. Longer flatter and excellent when fresh. Simply blanch them and serve them any tomato based sauce.
Bean Seeds are available for sale online from :
BAY SEED GARDENPH (08) 97522513
PO Box 1164 Busselton WA 6280
MR FOTHERGILLS SEEDSPH (02) 45775457 Fax (02) 45776892
15B Walker St Sth Windsor NSW 2756
GOODMAN SEEDSphone: 03 5152 5988
19 Radford Place Bairnsdale VIC 3875