Berberidopsis corallina – The Coral Plant
Berberidopsis corallina with its bell shaped red flowers is commonly called the Coral Vine.
It grows best in a slightly acidic soil in part shade, however does require a warm position to thrive.
It is an evergreen climber and with its heart shaped foliage makes an excellent plant for covering a wall. The small red flowers that appear in late summer hang down in bunches.
One of the best climbing plants for a shaded wall. Best protected from frosts.
This is a very useful evergreen climber for a shaded position. It is well behaved and does not require much pruning.
- Prepare the soil well before planting by digging in some well rotted compost and aged manure.
- Make sure you provide some support for the plant.
- water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool root run.
Berberidopsis corallina – Summary Information.
- Height – A climbing plant to 3 – 5 metres.
- Spread – Can be trained along a fence, frame or wall to 2 – 4 metres.
- Position – Part shade.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained. Best in a soil with some moisture.
- Foliage – Heart shaped deep green .
- Flowers – Bright red
- Flowering time – Summer though to autumn.
'Justly famous for rare and unusual plants' Don Teese
34 Mt Pleasant Rd Monbulk VIC 3793
17 McCarthy Rd Monbulk, Vic, 3793, Australia
Specialising in propagation and production of over 900 species / varieties of ornamental plants, perennials & rare plants. Supplying nurseries, landscapers & others. Minimum quantities apply! Contact us to discuss plants or growing requirements.