WHOLESALE AESCULUS or ‘Horse Chestnut’
Horse Chestnut trees or Aesculus species are an interesting group of trees, often confused with another species (Castanea) as being grown for the nuts, however they have different uses in the garden.
Aesculus include the common horse chestnut or Aesculus hippocastrum, and these are not edible, they are grown as shade trees.
However it is the other Aesculus species and cultivars may prove even more garden worthy, some make good specimen trees, shade trees and others have wonderful flowers.
Many of the hybrids with their large colourful flowers are the most garden worthy varieties
- A. hippocastrum – This is the common horse chestnut
- A. hippocastrum baumannii – Attractive large double white flowers, it does not set seed and the flowers are showy.
- A. x carnea Briotii – This is a hybrid, grown as an ornamental shade tree, wonderful red flowers in spring.
- A. x carnea plantieriensis – Large pale crimson to pink flowers
- A. x neglecta erythroblastos – New foliage is spectacular, orange to pink, turning to a pale green. Also known as the ‘Sunshine Horse Chestnut’
- A. indica is the Indian Horse Chestnut.
Available for sale from the following wholesale growers.
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.
55 McDougal Rd Neerim South Victoria 3831 PH: (03) 56281507
Advanced ornamental trees and garden designs and concept plans. Direct to your property combined with specialist knowledge and outstanding service.
Mob: 0421 821 307 Fax: 03 9752 0976
Quality WTrees and Shrubs. Large range of ornamental and fruiting plants. Supplying Landscapers and Retail Nurseries. Strictly Wholesale. All states except WA.