Mizuna lettuce is a great introduction to the Japanese leafy greens, easy to grow. It has a milder taste than most, and both the red and the green variety taste the same.
Besides being good for you as it is high in Vitamin C, it also looks great in salads where the finely cut leaves add texture. You can grow it at home, and the taste is best described as water cress with a bit of a bite to it.
It is another cool season Japanese mustard green, and as with many of these leafy greens a number of different varieties with different taste profiles are available.
How do you use Mizuna ?
Usually the young leaves are picked and added to salads. Older leaves and the stalks can be used in a stir fry. You can add it to pesto for a bit on tang. It is traditionally pickled and used as an appetiser.
Try tossing them in with potato salad or add them to an omelet.
How to grow Mizuna
- You can start Mizuna from seed or seedlings. It does require a rich moist soil, however it can be planted close together. From seed to first harvest will take around 8 weeks.
- Seeds can be sown directly, if growing from seedlings, be careful not to disturb the roots when transplanting.
- The best time to plant it is in autumn, and then grow it through until late spring/early summer.
- We suggest watering with a liquid seaweed fertiliser every two weeks. Make sure that the soil does not dry out, although this is not much of a problem in winter to spring.
- You can grow it in containers.
- Pick off any dead foliage to prevent disease.
- Harvest as required, young leaves are best for salads.
- At the end of the season, remove the plants and compost them.
To Buy Mizuna, try the following nurseries
KALLINYALLA NURSERY – Phone: 0428822725.
Shaen St Port Lincoln, SA, 5606
KLEMZIG GARDEN CENTRE – Phone: 08 8369 0338
32 O G Rd Klemzig, SA, 5087
In Victoria try
MT EVELYN GARDEN CENTRE - Phone: (03) 9736 1162
126 York Rd, Mount Evelyn VIC 3796
Excellent range of herbs and vegetables, full range of general nursery lines, pots and garden statues
AJS BULLOCK NURSERY – Phone: 03 9890 3162
48 Cosier Dr Noble Park, VIC, 3174
ACORN NURSERY – Phone: 03 5141 1900 673
Canterbury Rd Surrey Hills, VIC, 3127
AUSSIE GOLD PLANT NURSERY – Phone: 03 5428 7929
126 Amess Rd Riddells Creek, VIC, 3431
In New South Wales
Try BERRIMA COTTAGE NURSERY – Phone: 02 4877 2929
28 Old Hume Hwy Berrima, NSW, 2577
BALCONY IN BLOOM – Phone: 02 9905 2462
10 Green St Brookvale, NSW, 2100
ANNANDALE GARDEN CENTRE – Phone: 02 9660 0874
36 Booth St Annandale, NSW, 2038
BONNYRIGG GARDEN CENTRE – Phone: 02 9610
5366 Elizabeth Dr Bonnyrigg Heights, NSW, 2177