How to Grow and Plant Blueberries
If you have a sunny position you can grow Blueberry plants in the garden or in a container.
Blueberry plants are easy to grow given a slightly acidic humus rich well drained soil and plenty of sun. They do well when roots are mulched to provide a cool moist root run.
The trick is to choose the right type. Different varieties of blueberry plants are suited to different climates.
Where to Plant Blueberry Plants
A sunny position in a humus rich well drained but moist soil is the best place to plant them. Consider being able to place bird netting over them so that you get the berries and not the birds.
Blueberries are a fairly shallow rooted plant so they do require mulching, to prevent disease and allow good air circulation plant at around 1 – 1.5m apart.
Pruning will be required after plants are established (2 – 3 years), prune back 1/3 of the oldest stems to a good new bud each year.
Types and Varieties
Blueberries are amongst the most popular of berries, blueberries are prized as a super fruits nutrient rich and high in antioxidants. Different varieties include, Highbush, Rabbiteye and Lowbush. Coming in both evergreen and deciduous varieties, blueberries are suitable for growing in the home garden.
- Denise Blue is a small early season variety, excellent for growing in containers
- Brigitta is a mid season variety reaching around 2m in height
- Blue Crop is another mid season variety with large fruit and a reasonably prolific producer
- Northland is another smaller growing bush suited to containers, berries are small but tasty
Care and growing conditions
- Blueberry plants prefer a free draining soil with lots of well rotted compost or manure dug in.
- Mulch well to retain soil moisture and control weeds.
- Netting of blueberries will keep the crop for you rather than the birds.
Blueberry Plants are available for Sale Online from the following participating nurseries
470 Monbulk-Silvan Road Monbulk VIC 3793
"Guaranteed mail order flowering bulbs, perennials, roses, trees, landscaping plants, garden accessories and community fundraising Austra lia-wide."
55 McDougal Rd Neerim South Victoria 3831 PH: (03) 56281507
Advanced ornamental trees and garden designs and concept plans. Direct to your property combined with specialist knowledge and outstanding service.