Ginkgo Trees – Ginkgo Biloba
One of the best deciduous trees for cool to temperate climates Ginkgo Biloba has an attractive pyramidical habit, attractive lime green foliage and lovely buttery yellow autumn colour.
Ginkgo trees do make an excellent feature tree, or they can be grown in small groups to create an enchanting landscape in larger gardens.
Growth rate is usually slow, however this will depend on conditions, in a good year these trees can put on 1/2m, in a bad year it might not grow much at all. In terms of height, these wonderful trees can reach 20m, however they are slow growers.
With some specimens reputed to be over 1000 years old it is interesting that in the wild, this ancient tree is considered endangered.
The Ginkgo Biloba or ‘maidenhair tree’ is either male or female. The male trees will produce flowers, but no fruit. The female trees produce the fruit and seed, or gingko nut.
Unless you are looking at harvesting the seed the male Ginkgo tree is the best option as the fruit produced by the female tree has a tendency to smell. Regarded as a living fossil the ginkgo is one of our favourite deciduous trees.
Ginkgo Species, Cultivars and varieties
- G. Biloba (Maidenhair Tree) tree is a medium to large tree that is regarded as a living fossil, very ornamental with fan shaped leaves turn clear yellow in Autumn. Ginkgo biloba trees are readily available for sale.
- G. biloba autumn gold with its oval upright crown.
- G. biloba fastigata is a narrow growing columnar form of this lovely tree.
- G. biloba pendula is an Umbrella shaped tree. Biloba ‘Queen of Fruits’ is a female heavy fruiting form.The kernels are esteemed food in China and Japan.
- G. biloba saratoga is a dense compact form with ascending branches and a distinct central leader, slow and bushy.
- G. biloba variegata shows Yellow variegation.
You may also be interested in
- Ginkgo Biloba Trees
- Dogwood Trees – Cornus Varieties
- Japanese Maple Trees
- Magnolia Trees
- Cercis Canadensis
Ginkgo Trees are available for sale from the following nurseries
'Justly famous for rare and unusual plants' Don Teese
34 Mt Pleasant Rd Monbulk VIC 3793
Wide range of advanced Deciduous & Evergreen trees to 3m. Including : Beeches, Casuarinas, Maples, Oaks, Ginkgo, Magnolia, Pyrus, Nothofagus, Araucarias and Buchan Wattle and Conifers. Servicing VIC, NSW, & SA.
55 McDougal Rd Neerim South Victoria 3831 PH: (03) 56281507
Advanced ornamental trees and garden designs and concept plans. Direct to your property combined with specialist knowledge and outstanding service.
1070 Jacksons Track, Jindivick 3818
Specialising in growing and selling Rare and Unusual Trees, shrubs Perennials Bulbs and Climbers, a unique nursery with amazing stock.
WINTER HILL TREE FARM Ph: 02 4878 9193 Fax: 02 4878 9109
NSW Southern Highlands
Retail & Wholesale. Advanced trees & hedging. Grown in pots for year-round planting. 45 litre - 1000 litre available. Great range. Great Quality. Delivery available.